Boy has it been a while..
Since I have been skiing…
I used to be a ski mechanic back I the day. Back before snowboards were the thing. Back when Ski-bibs were hot and florescent ruled the color realm. Please do not ask about my mullet, I’d really rather let that one die..
Back then, I was a skier. I skied 2 to 3 times week. As a mechanic, I had access to a silver card. Any resort on Mt Hood was mine for free. Skiing became a pastime that was extremely affordable and I would waste as much time as I could on the slopes and never felt like I was being ripped off..
Times have changed. In the years that followed, the silver card disappeared, and I began having to pay for this pastime. On a mechanics salary, that’s pretty tough..
So, I started to ski less and less. And as responsibilities changed and life took a hold, justifying $40 + a day for an activity became harder and harder…(I am not talking about justifying to myself mind you)
Eventually, I found a good year of skiing consisted of 2 days at the mountain. Last week, I realized that it had actually been 4+ years since I sat on chairlift in the dead of winter. I tried to go back last year, but as all Oregonian’s are aware of, last year sucked dog balls. Skibowl never even opened.. So, I tried to get back sooner, I really did, but it was not in the cards…
Saturday Dec 3rd was my official day back on skis. And things have changed. I wasn’t in
What rally struck home was that everyone was wearing helmets!!! When did that happen?? Have I been living in a cave?? Was I so resentful for my inability to get to the slopes that I lost all awareness of the sport??
Yep, I had.
But, let me tell you brother, my welcome back could only have been better if they were giving away free massages in the bar. There was way over a foot of fresh powder. It was cold and the fresh was still falling.. Hey, wait, this is Mt Hood.. When did it start getting powder?? Where’s the ice?? Where is that grinding noise when you try to turn?? Where is rain?? Where are all of the people skiing in garbage bags??? Hell with it!! Who cares??? This was awesome!!!! BUT I AM OUT OF SHAPE!!!!!! Dog balls again..
I made a few runs, felt like a beginner and didn’t care. I will fall in love with it again…
Get up there if you can. Who knows how long this will last.
Dog balls..
Puck
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home