Monday, February 06, 2006

Well, this certainly sucks..

Have you ever had one of those weekends??
I just did.

The riding weather has been pretty wet the last couple of weeks. The snow has been great, but for riding, it's been cold and wet. Until this weekend..
So, how did I spend this weekend? you ask.. Well, Thursday was my birthday and I never work on my birthday, I usually go for a ride. This year I passed on the ride. My leg hurt too bad. Skipping the ride turned out to be a good thing. Sort of.

Saturday morning I woke up with my leg on fire. From ankle to crotch, the devils fire burned. I could barely walk. I proceeded to try to walk it off, but to no avail. So I woke up the incredibly hot blonde that sleeps next to me and asked if she would mind driving me to the Urgent Care.

After enjoying the circus side show that is the urgent care waiting room, I was seen by an incredibly nice doctor. Unfortunatly, the news was not good. She told me that she assumed that I had a blood clot and sent me to the emergency room for an ultrasound to be sure.

After an hour in the emergency waiting room, I was escorted back to my private suite and seen by about 1 doctor, 2 nurses and 1 really cool guy that ran the ultrasound.

The Verdict; 3 bloodclots in my left leg. At 34 and for no reason, I have cloted my blood fo rthe 2nd time. This is not good. It's not even ok.

I was quickly put on blood thinners and given a list of don'ts. That list includes (for the time being) contact sports(indoor soccer), Mt Biking, proffesional head-butting and until my leg heals, skiing and road riding..

I am out at least 6 months because of the dangers of bleeding out while on the thinners. Mostly they are worried about the brain bleeds and the clots breaking free..

So, here I am at 34. I have a chance that I will get some spring-skiing on the bunny slope at the end of the season. There is no such thing as a 2006 race season for me and I will be lucky to get out into the moutains before the rain comes back. Wow, life sucks. At least I am still alive. Had I gone on that ride for my birthday, I might not be..

yeah, I am bummed. But, I am really focusing on what's important to me. And it was seriously out of whack. One of my main thoughts was how am I supposed to get my weight down?? Seriously, I could really mess myself up and I am worried about my weight?? Times they are a changing..

My list of important things in my life; (not in order of importance.)
My soon to be wife.
My family
MyFriends
My dog
My life


As of today, I am doing everything in my power to improve on all of them. Everything else can come and go and I will adapt.

I will ride again.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.......... WOW...................What A Ride!"

Is not my saying for no reason...

But for now, I am in recovery. Time to read "It's not about the bike" again..

Cheers

Puck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home